- Create a volunteer profile in the FIRST Volunteer Information and Matching System (VIMS) which includes
a) creating an account,
b) providing some information about yourself including any physical limitations and
c) in the Expertise section, please add the information about which team(s) you are affiliated with.
- You will need to agree to the Terms & Conditions AND the Consent & Release
- Please edit your Expertise section to include which team(s) you are volunteering for. Example
- For Championship Volunteering, check which Roles are available first before applying.
- Apply For 1 or 2 Roles at most. You only need to apply for a specific volunteer role at the tournament that your team is attending.
- For Qualifiers: Select FIRST LEGO League (FLL) program, in California and “NorCal <name> FLL QT” event. You can also search by zip code or the exact name of the tournament.
- For Championships: Select FIRST LEGO League (FLL) program, in California and “NorCal FLL – <name> District Championship ” event. You can also search by zip code or the exact name of the tournament.
- Not sure the name of the tournament? All of our events are listed both on the firstinspires.org Events page as well as playingatlearning.org FLL Events page
- Not sure what roles are available? NorCal Championship Roles, Details of the NorCal FLL Qualifier Volunteer Roles
- Note that a few qualifier tournaments do not need any help from Team Volunteers – so the Tournament Director or Volunteer Coordinator will likely be communicating directly with you and/or the team coach
- For Championship tournaments, each team must fill an effective full day volunteer AND to get credit, you must identify which team that you are volunteering for.
- This required can be fulfilled 3 ways:
- Once you apply, you will receive a system-generated acknowledgement email that you have Applied (but are not yet assigned) for a volunteer role. The subject line will be something like, “NorCal FIRST LEGO League Volunteer Message – Volunteer Role Application Confirmation” and come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You must complete the background screening with Verified Volunteers. Note that you do not need to provide your Taxpayer ID (SSN) or pay anything for the screening
- Once your background screening is complete and you are marked as “Passed”, you can then be Assigned into a role by a Volunteer Coordinator for that tournament.
- You will received a custom email (from the FIRST system), with the assignment information along with the instructions on attending the training webinar for General Volunteers. The email will typically have the subject line, “FIRST Notification of Event Volunteer Assignment Status”.
- IMPORTANT: Coaches or Team-affiliated Volunteers may not apply to be any kind of Judge or Referee
- Judge Roles include Judge Advisor, Head Judge, Core Values Judge, Project Judge, Robot Judge, Judge Assistant
- Referee Roles include Head Referee, Referee (and sometimes listed as Game Referee)
- IMPORTANT: Coaches may ONLY apply for 1 of 3 roles: Setup help (day before event), Bringing team’s FLL Challenge table and sawhorses for Judging, or Bringing team’s FLL Challenge table and field kit for Pit Practice.