FIRST has asked us to make the following changes for Northern California starting with the 2008 tournaments (all levels):
Teams should expect the following:
- Rubric-based feedback given to each team for each of the 3 judged areas [Robot Design, Project and Teamwork]. This is likely to take the form of a “highlighted” area in each row of the rubric based on the judging panel’s evaluation. The feedback will either be given at the end of the tournament day or mailed within a short period of time after the tournament.
- Published robot game scores for all rounds
- Published list of award winners
- The list of advancing teams will be announced at the tournament itself based on a deliberation among the judges
Teams will not receive the following information:
- There will not be any published rankings of teams outside of any specific 1st / 2nd / 3rd place awards
- Advancing teams will be announced in no specific order (ie advancing teams will not be ordered in any way)
All of the judging rubrics are on the firstlegoleague.org website and have minor changes each year.
It is important to remember that while any call-back sessions or informal observations of the teams will be incorporated into judging deliberations and decisions, the feedback documents provided to teams are based on the original judging session and may not reflect this additional detail.
We would also like to remind everyone as that the Global Judge Advisor, Skip Gridley has stated: By providing rubric-based feedback to teams rather than a score or ranking, we are reinforcing the FLL Core Value, “What we discover is more important than what we win.”