March 3rd 8 am – 5 pm
Micron Technology 700 E Tasman Drive Milpitas
NorCal FLL Innovation Expo Details:
- When: Saturday, March 3rd, 2018 from 8AM to 6PM.
- Where: The location is Micron Technology 700 E Tasman Drive, Milpitas.
- What: Teams will present their project at a Project Expo – similar to a science fair. Teams will also attend project judging sessions. Teams that advance will give public presentations.
- Cost: $50 per team. If your team has a financial hardship please email FLL@playingatlearning.org, so we can work with you to address this. We do not want any team to miss this opportunity for financial reasons. The PayPal link will become available on the team list after your team RSVPs (see below)
- RSVP: You will need to express your interest to attend: Nominated Teams must save their spot please RSVP by 2/17 with YOUR TEAM NUMBER in the “name” spot.
- Application: Each team will need to submit their application and question responses BY 2/25 – There are several questions, we would recommend giving yourself enough time to complete the form. (Please plan accordingly, this will be at least a few hours of work.)
- Outcome: Four (4) winners from this Innovation Expo will be offered the chance to apply to attend the Global Innovation Expo hosted by FIRST in June 2018 in San Jose. Note: This is the opportunity to APPLY, FIRST will select 25 teams from all the applicants to attend the Global Innovation Expo in June.
Initially each NorCal finalist team will have a judging interview (expected to be 10 to 15 minutes). 12 teams will advance to the 2nd round will have another judging interview (again expected to be 10- 15 minute interview), and a public presentation (this presentation could be the same or modified from what you gave to the judges) of their project solution – the exact schedule will be announced.
Sample Possible Schedule (subject to change)
Competition Team Arrive 8:00am-8:30am
Setup Pit Table 8:00am-9:00am
1st Round of Judging 9:00am-12:00pm
Public Presentation and 2nd Round of Judging 1:00pm-3:00pm
Closing Ceremony: 4:30pm
Playing At Learning:
Playing At Learning promotes and supports FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL) to open doors to the worlds of science and technology for Northern California youth with a strong focus on reaching those traditionally under-represented in STEM careers. We provide operational oversight and coordination of our region’s league, tournaments, and championships for the nearly 600 robotics teams competing in the 2016 season, serving nearly 6000 middle school youth. During the August-March challenge season, we introduce 4th-8th grade youth (ages 9-14) to real-world engineering team-based challenges through an annual robot game and project. There are 3 components to the overall challenge – Robot Game, Project and Core Values.
With guidance from adult coaches and mentors, the FIRST® LEGO® League teams explore interactive and creative curriculum in academic, extracurricular, and competition environments, gaining the unique opportunity to:
- Design, build, and program autonomous robots using LEGO Mindstorms® robotics technology;
- Directly apply math, science, and engineering concepts;
- Learn more about issues and research areas for today’s scientists and engineers;
- Demonstrate 21st Century Skills in collaboration and teamwork, critical thinking, creative problem solving, as well as communication and presentation skills;
- Participate in Kickoff events, Tournaments and other celebrations.
FIRST along with partners such as XPRIZE for a Global Innovation Award and offers each FIRST LEGO League region an opportunity to nominate one or more Regional Nominees based on a team’s Innovative Solution to their Challenge Project.
NorCal Innovation Expo: Northern California presents teams with the opportunity to be nominated to represent our region for the Global Innovation Award. Starting in the 2016 season, at each of the November Qualifying Tournament, the project judges will select an Innovation Candidate team based on the Innovation Solution criteria from the Project Rubric. Then, in early spring, these teams will compete at the NorCal Innovation Expo to select the 2 teams that will be our Northern California’s Regional Nominees. The Northern California Regional Nominees will then be evaluated by a panel of esteemed judges coordinated by FIRST against the other regional nominees worldwide for an opportunity to vie for the Global Innovation Award which includes patent help, cash and other awards at a special event.
Challenge Project: Each year, FIRST introduces a new Challenge and theme based on a real-world problem.
The NorCalFLL Innovation Expo is celebrating our Teams’ Innovative Solutions to the Challenge Project and selecting the 2 NorCal regional nominees and 2 alternates to vie for the Global Innovation Award.